Saturday, July 26, 2008

Cuyabeno (In the Oriente). Amazonia. The Land of the Black Water.

First Note: If you are reading this blog leave a comment so I know someone is out there

Second Note: b sharp

The Amazon is a place of wonder. On the outside, from the Rio Cuyabeno, it looks amazing and tranquil. It appears simple, a place that just works. The water flows in the tiny river with the force of a mighty storm. I takes these mental notes as I enter our motorized canoe assisted by Don Deleo our native Siona guide and his son: the deft captain of our boat. I can`t remember his name but I always greet him with a hefty ``Capitan!`` , the kid can catch piranha like a champ. I am not destined to be a professional piranha fisherman. I discover this as I flip raw hunks of meat out into to tannin stained river. Don Deleo constantly nudges me to discover if I have captured a mighty bangre` or even the lowly piranha. Ok tangent aside.


We jump into the motorized canoe and haul ass 50 km downriver from the Cuyabeno bridge to Jamu (Yah-moo) Lodge. Along the way we see the elusive yellow-faced titi monkey.



capuchins, howlers, etc. We peer upon the lankey Cecropias and various palms. We see birds and Giant Kapok trees, the monsters of this rainforest system. On the way to the lodge we cross Laguna Cuyabeno, a flooded forest basin, and get a glimpse of the pink river dolphins, later on we`ll get a closer look.




We arrive at Jamu lodge after 3 hours in the little canoe and my bum hurts. Jamu lodge is amazing and primitive.






More to come...



















6 comments:

julikins said...

TITI MONKEY!

Flourish said...

I'm reading!

laurie said...

So incredibly interesting and amazing!!! Awesome!!

Anonymous said...

This is fascinating to me!

Ani said...

I'm reading too!

Guyon said...

count your blessings, cropduster...while you're surfing the amazon looking for shrooms and warding off frenchies, i'm surfing amazon.com looking for some ridiculous textbook that will most likely be used but a handful of times...
if you're interested in overseas betting, i can set an over/under line on millimeters of dust that collect between now & dec. 18