Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Visit to Finca


Finca El Gibraltar between Buca and Baranca Bermeja...just studying and learning about the plants here...There are large forest reserves with hundreds of species of rare dry forest tree species...among other things...



One of the cow fields showing the general terrain of the area...

This is a shot looking across the Rio Sogamosa, there is a dam being built will flood thousands of hectares of amazing forestlands...


The Rio Sogomosa is not flowing at this time of the year..It just consists of these giant stagnant ponds until the rains comes around April...It´s really hot here and humid and you sweat like pig on a treadmill...

This is a spiny tree in the Fabaceae...I don.t have my notebook now but I´ll dedicate a large set of blogs later to my fieldwork in the Magdalena...


This is pod from the Orojero...the ear-maker tree..it´s similar to the tamarind and the cows really love it according to the Farm Folk...


This is the flower from a tree famous in the region called the Gallineral...




Ok...and now for somthing completely different...here´s the downtown lowdown...I´m shimmying up this tree,yet another member of the Fabaceae and just minding my business and this giant bird, which is behind the oildrums there...Starts to attack me...it has a wicked sharp beak(thanks albondigas) and and talons on it´s elbows and it starts screaming at me and chases me out of the forest...I walk backards looking at the bird for like 300 feet and still it chases me...so I throw a stone at the bird, it bounces if the bird andf the bird proceeds to peck the hell out the rock and still come towards me....ahhhhhh! It´s Chavari´ very mean very crazy...So i hide for a minute and the find the bird behind this fence and manage to get a photo and video...but maiming possibly endangered birds is not in my job description so I don´t venture back in to that part of the forest

2 comments:

Liz said...

ALBOOOOOOOOOOOOOONDIGAS

This blog is 2 funny.

Anonymous said...

Attn: Corey & Julie

I have come to discover that you are, amazingly, still blogging, and are most definitely no longer in Portland. There was something of a missed connection between Corey and I by way of a mutual acquaintance/friend, one "Ashley King," who reported that I was to expect a phone call from (one of?) you which was never received. I require an email with your latest, at which time I will dispense with my plans to become more fully immersed in the Amazonian mycology world than ever before.

newmy51[at]gmail.com

♥ Danny